If you are into healthy eating, you must have heard about Golden Milk.
May be a friend shared about its benefits or you came across a post or discussion about it on social media.
We created this short guide for those who want to know more about this wonder food.
First, you’ll be keen to know what it is?
Let’s fill you in with the details.
Golden Milk is a gift to humankind from the age-old Indian healing methodology of Ayurveda. The basic formulation of Golden Milk consists of turmeric and coconut milk (or almond milk). Also, other spices and herbs may be added to enhance the flavor and benefits of the beverage. It is known as the ‘Golden’ beverage owing to its warm yellow color that it gets from turmeric. Golden milk provides warmth to the body and thus is a wonderful beverage to try as you embrace the upcoming winter season.
Golden milk comes essentially as a formulation of turmeric and coconut milk (or almond milk). Ginger comes as a common ingredient used to support digestion and add spiciness to the beverage. Also, you could add other additional herbs and spices to enhance the flavor.
Turmeric – Turmeric is the quintessential golden milk ingredient. Also known as the ‘spice of life’, it is well known for its medicinal properties. The main constituent of turmeric – curcumin (a polyphenol) is known to be exhibiting almost 600 potential health benefits, such as anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Other benefits of the spice include:
o Antiseptic, analgesic properties
o Immunity Booster
o Helps maintain cholesterol levels.
o Promotes digestive health.
o Liver Detoxifier.
o Regulates metabolism and weight management.
o Controls High blood pressure.
o Memory and brain function.
o Various skin conditions.
o Neurological disorders.
o Lowers Triglycerides
Coconut Milk – The coconut palm is known as the ‘Kalpa Vriksha’ in Sanskrit, i.e. a tree that gives all things necessary for a living. Lauric acid makes for 50% of the fat found in coconut oil and is rarely found naturally. Lauric acid converts itself to monolaurin in your body, which destroys lipid-coated viruses such as HIV and herpes, influenza, measles, gram-negative bacteria, and protozoans. Coconut milk has a creamy texture and natural sweetness to it and helps your body fight infections. The liquid is packed with Vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6; and also iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. Its health benefits include: restoration of dry and damaged hair, acne prevention, prevents premature ageing, treats sunburns and as a skin moisturizer.
Almond Milk – Almond milk comes with a nutty flavour and creamy texture to it. It is a popular choice for the vegans and carries the benefits of weight management, maintaining heart health, strong bones, glowing skin and also keep digestion in check.
You may also wish to add more spices to your steamy cup of golden milk. The list below will help you choose the various ingredients that could be added along with the ones mentioned above.
Black Pepper – Considered as a hot and pungent herb in the Ayurveda, Black Pepper is known as the ‘King of Spices’. Its addition to your cup of golden milk will assist in the natural secretion of digestive juices, thus fuelling the digestive fire, called Agni.
Vanilla – While acting as a mood booster and promoting healthy libido, the herb lends a good taste to the beverage.
Ashwagandha – Ashwagandha is a widely used Ayurvedic herb that supports body’s natural resistance and overall well-being.
Cardamom – This ‘Queen of Spices’, is a well-known spice for supporting the elimination of intestinal gas and thus improving upon the digestive system.
Dates – Dates are a healthy substitute for sugar and are also a great source of vitamins and minerals.
Other Spices & Herbs: You can use allspice, cloves, mace and nutmeg to add flavours. Also, Saffron, which has been used in Ayurveda to support a healthy mood, can also be added as one of the ingredients.
Golden milk can offer innumerable health benefits to you. A few of them are summarized below:
- Helps Build Immunity – Golden milk helps build immunity against many diseases. It is a wonderful drink for the winters as it helps fight cold and flu with its antiviral effects.
- Fights Digestive Issues – Golden milk improves digestion by relieving you of gas and bloating, and also any gastric reflux.
- Acts as a Liver Tonic – It carries the abilities to prevent liver cirrhosis and fatty liver. The detoxifying and hepatoprotective properties of turmeric can reduce any injuries on your liver tissues, while also removing any biliary obstructions.
- Improves Cardiac Health – Turmeric and coconut oil possess health benefits and as you combine both the ingredients, they collectively work towards improving cardiac health. The beverage is helpful in reducing the risk of blood clots, and along with its anti-oxidant properties helps in maintaining regular heartbeat.
- Blood Circulation – Golden milk helps in keeping your veins and arteries healthy. Turmeric helps in reducing oxidative stress which contributes to heart diseases.
- Reduces cholesterol and blood pressure – Curcumin is effective in reducing bad cholesterol levels. Also, coconut oil helps in reducing LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL cholesterol levels, thus maintaining your heart health. Further, the combination of coconut milk and turmeric reduces hypertension and keeps strokes at bay.
- Helps in weight loss: The combination of coconut milk and turmeric can help you shed those extra kilos, as it boosts your metabolism helping burn fat quicker.
You might still be wondering as to why golden milk when most of these spices are a part of your regular food consumption as well. The following might points might want you to reconsider that view:
– Golden milk could be your answer to that sweet craving you have post-dinner. Natural sweeteners such as dates could be added for an almost caramel-like flavor. You could also adjust for the sweetness by adding honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar. An extra sprinkle of cardamom or a dash of vanilla powder or cinnamon and topped with a dollop of foamed milk is all that you need this winter season.
– If you are trying to cut back on your caffeine intake, golden milk could be the alternative this season. It is caffeine free and thus makes for a great breakfast beverage. It could also be a good replacement your afternoon coffee.
– Golden milk could also be your health beverage after the workout hour.
– Studies can be tedious and stressful, and thus healthy snacking is a great accompaniment. Golden milk with its all nourishing benefits can be a great option to choose from. In fact, golden milk could be a great healthy replacement for your snack cravings.
With the winter season setting in – No matter what time of the day you decide to sip on this delicious, nourishing blend – the time is always right !!!